Monday, June 15, 2015

Puff Pastry magic

In my Girl Guide meeting on Thursday, I learned about the British ready made puff pastry invention. For some time now, I have been craving American Pillsbury cinnamon rolls or crescents. I always used to buy the tube of dough, and stick hot dogs in or nutella or a personal favorite, cream cheese. In my nine months in England, I had yet to find something similar. Then, like a lightening strike, my little girl guides taught me about puff pastry. We used it to make a traditional Coventry dish, "god cakes", which I'm told is basically a pastry form of the sweet mince pie. (Mince meat is also a new thing to me). While the god cakes were good, I was significantly more excited to discover the puff pastry that was basically like the dough in a can that I bought in America! Sure...the dough pastry dough is a lot thinner, not nearly as saturated in fatty goodness, and bakes lighter, it is still good to finally have the ability to play with easy (and cheap) dough again!! I immediately went out the next day and bought my own box of the stuff. (For other foreigners living in the UK this puff pastry magic lives in the Tesco butter aisle). I was tempted to make my version of a sausage roll, but elected that it was too dangerous for a first puff recipe. Instead I made what I now call "peach pockets".

The Blonde's Peach Pockets
You will need
-box of ready made puff pastry dough
-can of peaches
-brown sugar
-regular white sugar
-some milk

Open the peaches, drain the juice, then slice the peaches up so they are in small cube like shapes. Through the peaches, some brown and white sugar, into a pot. Put the pot on the stove until the mixture is boiling. While you wait for it to heat up, roll out the puff pastry until and divide it into 8 pieces (or however you want to). Once the peach mixture is hot, place a dollop in the middle of the puff pastry. Get a cooking brush or a spoon and lightly coat the edges around the peach with milk. Then fold the pastry over so the peaches are encased, and coat the top of the pastry with milk as well. Sprinkle the top with sugar, cut a few holes in the dough, and place it on a tray. I let mine bake for about 20-25 mins at 200 degree's celsius. When they are browned on the top, take them out, let em cool, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rest Yo'Self

Frequently when I am reading fitness posts, blogs, etc. rest periods are not mentioned enough!! I'm not referring to a rest day or two, ...