A funny mid-week pick me up for all of us. Yet another one of those scenarios where the differences in the English language can be astounding!
As I have mentioned, one of my 5 housemates is a maths teacher at a UK school. One night whilst discussing our days he mentioned
"throwing some rubbers at the children"
Imagine my shock! Because as an American, rubber almost always is said in reference to one thing, and one thing only. Condoms.
So here is my close friend telling me he threw condoms at children. My jaw dropped and I started to stutter and blubber about how he shouldn't just throw condoms at children when he burst into laughter.
In the UK....rubbers means erasers...... Like the thing you use to erase pencil marks....not condoms...
Imagine just how stupid I felt. Lesson learned.
England=Rubbers=Erasers (something appropriate to daily divy out to children)
America=Rubbers=Condoms (definitely not something that should be handed out publically in the middle of class to high school students)
Life is a carousel, enjoy the ride. Welcome to my blog about culture, fitness, food and living life on the cheap!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
I'm proud of my popping arm muscles The Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYP5sySvJs Youtube Profile : Class Fitsug...
-
I watched a new ITV show last night about American beauty pageants for woman of a more "mature" age. Think Honey Boo Boo but with ...
-
I got into an arguement with my housemate yesterday. She is a bit obsessive and she kept going over the same problem again and again, despit...
Rest Yo'Self
Frequently when I am reading fitness posts, blogs, etc. rest periods are not mentioned enough!! I'm not referring to a rest day or two, ...
No comments:
Post a Comment